Click on a state below to view information on the eligibility and enrollment and retention procedures of state Medicaid/CHIP programs for children, parents, and pregnant women. You can also view a snapshot of the data or download all state tables.
Data are provided from a national survey conducted by CCF with the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured. View the full 2012-2013 survey, Getting into Gear for 2014.
As of January 1, 2013 in Medicaid and CHIP:
- 47 states provide coverage for children with family income at 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) or higher; 26 states cover children with family income at 250% of the FPL or higher; 17 states cover children with family income at 300% of the FPL or higher;
- 25 states provide coverage to lawfully-residing immigrant children without imposing a five-year waiting period; 20 states provide coverage to lawfully-residing immigrant pregnant women;
- 13 states do not have a waiting period for their CHIP programs; of those states with waiting periods, 19 states have waiting periods of 3 months or less;
- 47 states do not require an asset test for children at enrollment;
- 15 states have adopted presumptive eligibility for children in Medicaid and CHIP;
- 42 states have adopted the Social Security Administration (SSA) data match to verify citizenship;
- all states post their applications online; 35 states allow for the electronic submission of applications;
- 49 states do not require a face-to-face interview when children apply for coverage; 50 do not require one at renewal;
- 49 states require children to renew coverage only once a year; 23 states have adopted 12-month continuous eligibility for children in both Medicaid and CHIP; and
- 18 states do not require premiums for children in either Medicaid or CHIP.
All State Tables
- Eligibility Levels in Medicaid & CHIP for Children, Pregnant Women, Parents, and Childless Adults, January 2013
- Coverage of Lawfully-Residing Immigrant Children and Pregnant Women without a 5-Year Waiting Period (ICHIA Option), January 2013